Disney and EA killed the Star Wars Batlefront III in the Galaxy in Turmoil fan project

EA killed the fan made Galaxy inTurmoil Battlefront project.
What direction is the team taking now? Let’s find out!

The developers of Galaxy in Turmoil, Frontwire Studios announced on 31st July that the project will not be continued as a Star Wars Title. The game was expected to arrive to Steam FOR FREE and be available to the many fans who desired even more massive fights than EA’s Battlefront has, real solo campaign and space fights.

In June this fan project was announced to be released for Free on Steam, because the Star Wars IP is currently owned by EA and nobody else has the rights to create gaming content using it. Unfortunately, it seems, that even in its free format, this game has no future. Disney and EA’s official reason for forcing this project to be canceled is that it might take away the attention to the fans from their own game – the official Star Wars Battlefront.

Here are a few bits and pieces of the story, as it was told by Tony Romanelli, President of Frontwire Studios:

On Wednesday June 22, 2016, we received a letter from Lucasfilm requesting that we halt production of Galaxy in Turmoil with any Star Wars related IP at once. Rather than laying down at the first sign of trouble, I requested a meeting with the Lucasfilm executives to discuss our project and to find some common ground to work with. Honestly, I didn’t expect too much negotiation to occur. But much to my surprise, executives at the top of Lucasfilm agreed to meet. A week later, that meeting took place.

I was told that Lucasfilm had already spoken with EA about Galaxy in Turmoil and that EA expressed no desire in letting our project continue. Their main concern was due to the possibility of Galaxy in Turmoil taking away attention from their Battlefront franchise. I tried to pitch the idea about putting Galaxy in Turmoil behind EA’s paywall but was told that EA had previously rejected that proposition as well. Due to their exclusive contract with EA, Lucasfilm was contractually obligated to deny our request for the use of the Star Wars IP for Galaxy in Turmoil based on EA’s decision. We tried to reach out to EA directly for more information, but we have so far gotten no response.

I do not for a second hold any grudge against Electronic Arts and/or Lucasfilm, and neither should our community. The Star Wars brand is a highly valuable and lucrative brand. I would expect nothing less from Lucasfilm than to do everything they can to protect and preserve their intellectual property. As for EA they have an extremely expensive and profitable production contract with Lucasfilm. Likewise, EA has done what they felt they needed to do and if I were in the same position, I hope I would also do anything to protect my golden egg. While I do wish EA would realize that backing a free fan game would actually be an effective way to help and promote their brand, their decision is final, and we as both a business and as a community must respect that.

You can find the full article here. On the website of the studio there are also a few more interesting reads, including the June announcement of the project going to Steam.

The good news is that the game itself IS NOT canceled all together. It is just being developed as a NON STAR WARS title now. The team is developing their own world and universe now, with their own lore.

Check out this interview with Tony Romanelli to find out more about their future plans and current work:

[iframe id=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/j7jRV7C1GYs”]


Did you find this post entertaining and useful? Let me know what’s your opinion. Leave a Comment & Share the article.
Stay in touch! Follow Vulkk on Facebook, Twitter & Google+. Sign up for the VULKK.com’s Weekly Newsletter.


Shop Related Products

You might also like
Comments