This article is based on information shared by Monolith during their Weekly Live Stream from 4th August 2017. It is not 100% full, because not everything was demonstrated, specifically talking about the categories from the Market Place.
Shadow of Mordor is scheduled to release on 10th October 2017 for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. It’s available for pre-order. Check its pricing and availability on Amazon and Kinguin (use code “vulkk” for 3% off!). You can join the Shadow of War Discord server here to follow all the latest discussions about the game.
Vulkk’s Short Video Overview
This video summarizes the information you can find in this article.
The main currency is called Mirian. Mirian can be used to upgrade your gear and fortresses by adding garrisons, warchiefs, your attacking force and more. Mirian can be obtained in one of the following ways:
- Defeating Treasure Orcs
- Destroying Gear for Mirian
- Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
- Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
Gold is the 2nd currency, used to purchase higher tiers of items from the Market Place. it can be purchased in one of the following ways:
- Through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
- Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
- Awarded for participating in community challenges.
There is nothing exclusive in any of the chests. The difference is quantity and chance to get something of a higher quality as you go up through the tiers. No content in the game is gated by Gold. Everything can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.
Categories and Tiers
In the very top of the screen is the statistic: Garrison (Number of Followers), Number of Unopened Chests and Consumables.
The categories of items sold at the Market Place are split into:
- War Chests
- Loot Chests
The chests are split into 3 categories, depending on rarity of the items inside.
The Quality of the items is split into:
- Common (?)
The following are examples shown on the live stream. Not everything was demonstrated by the hosts. Here you can see all that they did show and tell us about.
These will cost 240 Gold. Monolith will be releasing various special chests with a different theme. These are designed to allow players to build their special unique kind of an army. They contain 3 Orc Followers (at least 1 Legendary, 2 Epic) and 2 Consumables (Training Orders or Two-Hour Spoils of War Boosts)
- Silver – costs 1000 Mirian, contains 2 Orc Followers (at least 1 Epic), 1 Consumable (either Training Orders or Two-Hour Spoils of War Boost)
- Gold – costs 200 Gold , contains 3 Orc Followers (at least 1 Legendary, 2 Epic), 2 Consumables (from any of our Training Orders and Two-Hour Spoils of War Boosts)
- Mithril – costs 60 Gold, contains 4 Orc Followers of Legendary quality and 1 Legendary Training Order
- Silver – costs 500 Mirian, contains 2 pieces of gear (at least one rare)
- Gold – was not shown on the stream
- Mithril – was not shown on the stream
- If a Legendary Follower dies, you get a Legendary piece of gear to compensate you for the huge loss.
- The Legendary Followers get more Epic Traits.
- If you don’t want to kill Orcs, but Brand them all, you can still earn.
- The Garrison window allows you to command (deploy) or kill your Followers and loot the piece of gear each one of them drops.
Live Stream Video
This is the full archived video from Monolith’s YouTube channel of the live stream.
Like the Featured Image for this post? I made an HD Wallpaper out of it for my Patrons. You can find it here.